This Incipio case looks like a $10 dollar case but it’s not. Find out what’s special in our Incipio Octane Review
[toggle title=”Watch the Incipio Octane Review on YouTube”][/toggle]
The Incipio Octane for the iPhone 6. It’s a co-molded impact absorbing case for the iPhone 6 and is actually drop rated to 4 ft. When we first got this case, we thought “geez, this looks like a 10 dollar case we’d get from a street vendor”. Our impression of the Octane has improved since using it for a while.
Surprisingly, this is one of our higher rated cases out of our current selection of cases as its one of the thinnest, yet protective iPhone cases that we’ve come across and that’s what gives it an edge over other cases like the Spigen Tough Armor, the Incipio DualPro and Phenom.
We feel that there is an issue with the build quality of the case and the edges of the case are a little high/sharp for our taste but despite all of that, we gave this case a score of 4.3 Eh’s out of 5. Despite being so thin and protective, we’re not going to go out of our way to recommend this case given that it does look like a cheaper case.
Compare With other
(out of 5)
|Top Buy Buttons|
- The Incipio Octane is slim, decently-built iPhone case
- One of the thinnest cases that offers 4 ft drop protection
- Case has an edge around the entire case that some people may find a little too sharp
- That same edge also provides a bit of texture so that the case doesn't slip out of your hand easily
|Potential Problems||Potential Problems:|
- Back of the case isn't as scratch resistant as other Incipio Cases (like the DualPro)
- Adds very little bulk to your iPhone 6
- Will add 1/8 inch around your entire iPhone 6
- Fairly easy to install
|Build Quality||Build Quality (4.5/5):|
- The Incipio Octane fits the iPhone 6 very well
- Textured bumper around the edge of the case reduces the chance of the iPhone slipping out of your hand
- Back of the case will show scratches more readily than other cases
|General Protection||General Protection (4/5):|
- The Incipio Octane is rated to be shockproof up to 4 ft (while being incredibly slim)
- Edges provide a bit of screen protection
- Shouldn't interfere with 3rd party screen protectors
- No screen protector included
|iPhone Functionality||iPhone Functionality (5/5):|
- Able to access all buttons and features on the iPhone 6
- Able to use slightly larger headphones jacks and 3rd party lightning cables easily with the Incipio Octane
|Screen Functionality||Screen Functionality (4.5/5):|
- The Incipio Octane doesn't get in the way of accessing the iPhone's touchscreen
- Edges are high and are quite noticeable
|Bottom Purchase Buttons|
Design – We’re allowed to drop our iPhones in this case?
During our testing period for this Incipio Octane Review, we were constantly surprised at the texture of the case. The Plextonium back is very slick but the Flex20 bumper makes up for the lack of texture. The bumper does feel a little sharp and from our usage, it feels like the hexagonal texture digs into your palm so that iPhone feels pretty solid in your hand with this case.
In terms of the build quality, the back of the case scratches quite easily so the Incipio Octane is going to show a lot of wear and tear. We will note that the bumper held up fairly well with the drops that we did in our review video.
Protection – Slim protection that protects your iPhone from 4 ft drops
We’ve been surprised at how few iPhone 6 cases are actually shock proof up to 6.6 ft. Many case manufacturers talk about how tough their cases are but don’t actually post how high you can drop their product. That’s not the case for the Thule Atmos X3. As you can tell in our review video, we have no problem dropping our iPhone 6 in the Atmos X3 from 6.6 ft.
In terms of screen protection, the lip of the case extends past the touchable iPhone screen by approx. 3 mm’s. This lip is a little higher than other cases (it’s quite similar to the lip of the Speck CandyShell) so it will provide a decent amount of clearance for your iPhone screen. If you’re looking to install one of the curved screen protectors for the iPhone 6, we’d recommend that you don’t use the Incipio Octane since the lips of the case seem to go up a little higher than other cases which may bump up against your curved screen protector.
Functionality – Like a naked iPhone 6
We didn’t have any trouble getting to the iPhone 6 inside the Incipio Octane. The Octane does have a larger cutout for the headphone input so you’re able to use slightly larger than Apple EarPods with the case.
Have questions about our Incipio Octane Review? Please ask them on our Google+ page or on our Facebook page.