The Love Mei Powerful is perfect for the person who doesn’t like to work out but wants big arms
The promotional video for the Love Mei Powerful case is also pretty interesting as it shows a couple taking the Powerful iPhone case everywhere but the best scene is when the guy decides to break a car window with the iPhone case.
Based on our time with this case, we gave it a score of 3.7 Eh’s out of 5. The build quality of the case is quite poor with the Love Mei Powerful case suffering from deformations after being dropped, rough looking cutouts, the “Corning Gorilla” glass screen protector seems a little weaker than other glass screen protectors and the paint on the bezels begins chipping after being dropped. Did I mention this is a heavy case?
- Great screen accessibility
- Great access to your iPhone
- Poor build quality
- Bezels deformed after being dropped
- Paint chips off after being dropped
- Screen Protector isn't as tough as other "Gorilla Glass" screen protectors
- Case will show wear and tear quicker than other cases over time
- A drop from 6 ft will deform the case which may damage the iPhone
- The Love Mei Powerful is VERY heavy
- It will add 1/2 inch around your entire phone
- Doubles the thickness of your iPhone
Ease of installation (3/5):
- You need to install 6 screws into the back of the case
- Love Mei includes an installation tool that can be accessed once the case is taken apart
Build Quality (2/5):
- Rubber bumper tears easily
- Cutouts look roughly cut
- Paint chips off the bezel after being dropped
- Bezels deformed after drop
- Glass screen protector doesn't seem as tough as other cases
Shock Protection (5/5):
- Not rated to any specific drop standard
- The Love Mei Powerful was dropped from 3ft to 6ft and the iPhone survived
- Water Protection (3/5):
- Not rated to any waterproofing/resistance standard
- The Powerful will provide better water resistance/dust resistance than other cases due to the design of the case
- Screen Protection (4.5/5):
- Glass screen protector will provide better protection than other cases though we're not convinced its actual "Corning Gorilla Glass"
- The Love Mei Powerful did protect the iPhone from multiple hammer and axe strikes
iPhone Functionality (4.5/5):
- Sound quality for the Love Mei Powerful is decent
- Easy access to hardware ports and buttons on your iPhone
- TouchID sensor is NOT usable
- Screen Usability (5/5):
- Provides great access to the iPhone screen (surprisingly)
- No noticeable gap between screen protector and touchscreen
- Case extends far enough that you can easily access the swipe menus
- Screen Viewability (5/5):
- No rain-bowing effects
- No additional glare
- One of the best screen protectors that we've come across
Design – We’re big fans of the design of the case, even it is “borrowed”
The Love Mei Powerful case comes in three pieces that are held together with 6 screws. The front and back bezels are made from steel and the middle piece is a 9mm impact truss. In fact, the component diagram found on Love Mei’s website is quite similar to the one found on Lunatik’s website. We will note that the impact truss can be easily torn.
The Powerful case is not TouchID compatible and has a cheap cover over the home button. It seems to float on the case and is attached via this sticker.
The glass screen protector, which we broke with an hammer and axe runs along the entire length of the case. The mute ringer switch is also similar to the Lunatik’s switch. The headphone jack is covered by a plastic plug that has a diamond looking thing that is used to smash car windows.
Protection – The Love Mei Powerful might not survive but your iPhone will be safe
The Love Mei Powerful case is not rated to any Military Standard so we put it through a normal waist height drop, followed by a 6ft drop. The iPhone survived all the drops but the case is not quite deformed and one of the screw sockets broke off. Given the that the bezels are made from steel, that’s not surprising to us.
In terms of water/dust resistance, we believe this case will fare better than most but it is not waterproof and one of the drawbacks of this case is that it will sink much quicker than other cases given the extra weight of the case.
According to Love Mei, the Powerful case has a Gorilla glass screen protector but from our very scientific test of taking a hammer/axe and smacking the screen protector, we feel that it doesn’t seem as strong as the Gorilla glass screen protector on the Lunatik Taktik Extreme which took multiple hammer strikes.
Functionality – Wow. It’s actually really good
This is where the Love Mei Powerful case shines. Getting to your iPhone is incredibly easy inside this case. In fact, its one of the best cases for that which is surprising given the build quality of the case. The shape of the case fits nicely in your hand and if it was made from a lighter material, would be a joy to use.
The glass screen protector is especially nice, even if its not “real” Gorilla glass. Finger print smudging is kept to a minimum and fingers slide really easily over the surface. The glass screen protector extends over the front-facing camera so it doesn’t reduce the quality of that camera.
Sound is really muted in the case and we didn’t notice any attenuation of our wifi/cell strength. The cutouts on the back of the case are large enough that they get in the way of camera and flash.