We’ve discovered the Holy Grail of slim iPhone cases. Find out why in our Thule Atmos X3 Review
- Incredibly slim
- Great texture
- Shockproof up to 6.6 ft
- None that we can think of
- Makes the iPhone 5/5S 25% thicker
- Will add approx. 1/8 inch around the entire iPhone
- One of the slimmest iPhone cases that we've reviewed
Build Quality (5/5):
- The Thule Atmos X3 feels solid
- Solid yet easy to press rubber around buttons
- Good blend of hard plastic and grippy rubber. Easy enough to slide into pockets, textured enough to prevent slipping on tables
General Protection (5/5):
- Will protect your iPhone from 6.6 drops
- Edges are far enough to allow installation of a screen protector
- Edges of the case provide minimal clearance for screen
iPhone Functionality (5/5):
- Great access to the buttons on your iPhone
- Cutout at the bottom of the Thule Atmos X3 allow for slightly larger lightning cables but not headphones
- Screen Functionality (5/5):
- Does not get in the way of viewing/accessing your iPhone's touchscreen
Design – Why aren’t other manufacturers doing this?
The Thule Atmos is one of the slimmest cases that we’ve seen for the iPhone 5/5S but it still provides an incredible amount of protection. I’m not sure what Thule used in the construction of the case but similar cases that provide the same amount of drop protection will easily be twice as thick as the Thule Atmos X3.
One of the things that we’ve noticed with the case is that the lip of the case reaches the edge of the glass face of the iPhone. It doesn’t overlap and basically buts up against the edge of the iPhone. Since the corners are very rigid, there’s almost no chance that the case is going to scrap your screen protector off the case.
Protection – The Thule Atmos X3 is one tough case. For its size that is.
In terms of protection, the Thule Atmos X3 is an ultra tough slim case. As I mentioned before, the case is drop tested to 2m though they don’t specify a Mil-Spec they rate the case to. Our drop test with the Thule Atmos X3 didn’t produce any surprises.
In terms of screen protection, this case has a minimal lip that keeps the iPhone’s screen off any surface.
Functionality – Getting to your iPhone 5/5S is simple
Getting to your iPhone is simple in this slim case but we will add that the cutouts for the headphone jack are designed to fit well with the Apple EarPods. Anything that is larger will not work with this case.